Saturday, July 16, 2011

It's Time to Fledge From the Nest

Hello! Time for another update on my Florida life!

Tuesday, July 5th: We had our first official day working at the animal exhibits and Kids' Discovery Club stations. Each morning, we get a letter (A-O), and each letter has a certain rotation order that tells us which station to be at and when. Today, we went to each one with a small group and a member of Core Team (our bosses). Our leader started example conversations for us and also showed us the best routes to get from place to place.

When we went to lunch, we took bikes to the break room because it was pretty far away. At Disney's Animal Kingdom (DAK), however, we call them "DAKcycles" and we're only allowed to use them backstage. The problem is that I don't know how to ride a bike (yeah yeah, go ahead and laugh), so my leader tried to teach me. The first one I tried had a flatish tire and the second was too big, so when I got off balance, I fell. Despite that fail, I'm going to make it a goal to learn to ride.

Wednesday, July 6th: We had another day of small group rotations. I finally started to understand how to get everywhere (although the real test would come when I was on my own). After work, Cumberland had an intern pool party, which was fun. Team "Education Presenter + Cassie" even won one of the silly icebreaker games we played. That's because the Presenters are amazing!!

Thursday, July 7th: We worked in pairs on Thursday, and I was with my roommate Sonia. The day started off ok, but when we had to close one of the KDCs, we couldn't find the fan switch, it started pouring, and we got back to the AP trailer 10 minutes late. It was kind of a bad end to the day--I was just glad when we got home.

Friday, July 8th: I was paired with Nick and we had a good time making jokes all day. After I got home, Cassie and I took Sonia to the airport (she was going to go home for a visit), but then her flight got canceled, so we picked her up shortly after we left.

Saturday, July 9th: Day off, woohoo! I went to Earl of Sandwich with Melissa. It was very tasty, except the slabs of mozzarella cheese reminded me of slimy Ecua cheese. Ew. Anyway, we then went to a shop where I bought my first mystery Vinylmation, and it was the creepy baby from Toy Story 3. I will definitely be trading it ASAP! Our next stop was "World of Disney," the largest Disney merch store in the world. OH MY GOSH. IT'S INSANE. I could get lost in there. They have everything from pins to wedding accessories to plush to housewares. I will probably be doing most of my Christmas shopping there.

Sunday, July 10th: Today was the day to "fledge from the nest" according to our leaders. It was my first day completely on my own at work. It went well except for the fact that I forgot a bug thermometer and a prop bag, I walked off with a KDC stamp, and I almost forgot to record my numbers. At least I didn't get lost! I was pretty proud of that. All in all, it went well.

Alright, next time I'll fill you in on the rest of the week's events, including my family coming to visit!

"You'll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut."--Dr. Suess

No comments:

Post a Comment