Sunday, June 12, 2011

One Week!!

Just one week until I head down to Florida. I can barely believe it!! Just a few months ago, I was searching for jobs anywhere and everywhere--Pennsylvania, Maine, Wisconsin, Texas, North Carolina, New Hampshire, and Florida. I definitely never thought I'd end up at Disney World! I'm not someone who dreamed of working there my whole life (I haven't even been to Disney in seven years), but I'm SO excited and blessed to have this opportunity!

Since my last entry, I've been making a massive packing list. As of now, it's several pages long. I was very specific and slightly OCD about it, because I don't want to forget anything! I've also started to make piles of things in our guest room. It basically looks like a bomb went off. To make the packing process easier, we bought a rooftop cargo bag (thanks for the great idea, Luke!). Also, I'm helping my dad install a new stereo with radio/CD player in my car. Unfortunately, we have to wait a few days to finish because the car has to go back to the shop to fix a problem with the exhaust.

I recently did a ton of shopping to buy professional clothing to wear during my first few weeks of training. In general, while I'm at work, I have to exemplify "The Disney Look." It's a pretty lengthy list of guidelines for hairstyling, headwear, eyewear, tattoos and piercings, makeup, etc. The reason for these rules is that Walt always wanted Cast Members to appear approachable, friendly, and knowledgeable.

Although I have to start getting really organized before next Sunday, I've also been trying to relax and enjoy my last few days in PA. I've been hanging out with friends, playing pick-up frisbee, and catching up on hours of sleep I lost during college.

On Thursday, I visited the National Aviary so I could see "Skydeck," the new rooftop bird show. (It was awesome, by the way!) It's always fun to go back and see my former co-workers and to see how the place has changed since I left. I'm really grateful for the fun times I had during my internship. I learned a lot about bird behavior and husbandry and how to relay conservation messages to guests of all ages. Thanks to everyone who made it an enjoyable experience for me, especially Caitlin, Nicole, and the show staff!

One more thing--I recently watched a documentary called "Waking Sleeping Beauty" that I heard about from another Disney PI. It gives you a behind-the-scenes look at the period in which Disney animators struggled to make successful films, and how they pulled through during leadership changes and created some of the most memorable movies in history. If you appreciate animation, I'd definitely recommend this movie. There are many places to find it online, so check it out. Here's the trailer!

This is the last real entry before I get settled in FL. Thanks for reading, and I'll leave you with a funny comic and a quote from Walt himself.


"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."--Walt Disney

No comments:

Post a Comment